Our Favorite Whole Roasted Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes Additional time: 15 minutes
5 lb. whole chicken (giblets and neck removed)
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 onion cut into large chunks
2 carrots - peeled and cut into large chunks
2 stalks celery cut into large chunks
1/2 cup water
Preheat your oven to 425°F
Pat your chicken dry with paper towels.
Place the onions, celery, and carrots in the cavity and around the chicken.
Place the chicken on a rack or use the vegetables as a rack if you do not have one. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 pan.
Brush entire chicken with melted butter.
Combine the sea salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle generously over the entire chicken including the cavity.
Add water to the bottom of the pan.
Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 425°F or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F .
Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Roasting two chickens instead of one will save you time and provide you with extra meat that you can freeze for another meal.
- This recipe calls for a 5 lb. chicken but will work with a chicken weighing anywhere in the 4.5 - 6.5 lb. range. Just be sure to check the internal temperature and adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Add any aromatics that you have or that are in season. Try rosemary, thyme, parsley or even a cut up lemon.
- Avoid cross contamination by having all of your ingredients ready before unwrapping your raw chicken.
- Place a foil tent over the breast if it is browning more than you like.
- Be sure to save those bones and make delicious bone broth :-)
- We prefer to remove all of the meat off of the bones after roasting. Meat can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and in the freezer for 5 - 6 months.
I hope that you found this information helpful and a way to stretch your food dollars and fight inflation.